Prescott Circus Theatre has year-round opportunities to get involved to support our children and organization. Current opportunities are listed below:
Term: June 1 – July 22, 2020. Meetings and individual prep in April / May.
Job Type: Part-time, seasonal, non-exempt, at-will, hourly employee
Orientation, Prep and Post Program: June 1 – June 6; July 20 – 21
Program Dates: June 8 – July 17; Monday – Friday
Hours: Average 4 – 6.5 hours / day
Academic Lead Position: The academic lead prepares and facilitates the delivery of a 5-week academic curriculum that supports participants’ retention, practice, and advancement of academic skills in the areas of math, literacy, and critical thinking. Academic activities take place primarily in the morning and focus on literacy and math skills through project based learning. They encompass approximately 70 hours of program time during the 5 weeks. Students are ages 8 – 17, with the strongest concentration between 8 – 11 years old.
To Apply, please submit the following:
● Brief, 1-page, cover letter describing your interests and experiences. Please share any past experience with arts integrated learning and how your skills and experience may support our children.
Please email these to David Hunt at dhunt @ prescottcircus.org; subject line: Summer Teacher – Your Name
or mail to:
Prescott Circus Theatre
800 Pine St. #10
Oakland, CA. 94607
2020 WINTER / SPRING YOUTH INTERNSHIPS Posted 1/27/20
Prescott Circus Theatre is offering volunteer internship / apprenticeship opportunities during the winter / spring 2020 school semester for youth ages 16 – 20.
Internships will be created based on individuals’ schedules, strengths, and interests in the areas of:
- youth development and performing arts education
- performing arts production
- event planning and marketing
Activities will include:
- working with teaching artists and children in our after school circus arts programs
- working in our West Oakland office to help with event production and marketing for our 2020 Showcase:
- create social media posts
- learn to create and submit press releases and calendar events to local media
- assist with volunteer coordination and planning
- Complete and submit the online application HERE
- Download the Word.docx version of the application HERE and….
- Complete and email to David Hunt at dhunt @ prescottcircus.org (delete the spaces when emailing)
- Drop off to Prescott Elementary office during school hours or after school Mon., Wed. , or Fri.
- Mail to completed application to : Prescott Circus Theatre 800 Pine St. #10, Oakland, CA 94607
Questions / Information: 510-967-0355 or info@ prescottcircus.org (delete the space when emailing)
TEACHING ARTISTS / CIRCUS ARTS INSTRUCTOR
Terms: 4- 9 months, September 2020 – April 2021; 6 – 15 hrs/week. Afternoons. Meetings and events.
Compensation: Competitive. DOE.
Job Type: Non-exempt, at will, seasonal, part time, hourly employee
Download Teaching Artist Job Description Here
Teaching Artists work during after school hours in partnership with other artists and staff at select Oakland public school sites. Programs take place September – April (May at some sites) and meet 2x weekly. Teaching shifts are three (3) hours long and include prep and direct service. Students have opportunities to perform during the program ‘season’ as well as attend live performances. Each program culminates in final assembly performances for their school, families, and friends.
The Artist’s principle role is to deliver a comprehensive circus and theater arts, skill based curriculum rooted in youth development and healing centered best practices to guide the participants through the process of creating and putting on an original show. Resident Artists should have fundamental skills in performing and coaching juggling and acrobatics at a minimum. Preferred additional skills include clowning, improvisation, and stilt walking, and balancing skills (rola bola and unicycle). Knowledge and experience in youth development fundamentals, strong class management skills, and past school residency experience are highly valued.
If you you’ve got the heart and the skills, please contact us. We’d like to hear from you. Artists and coaches of color are especially encouraged to apply or inquire to learn more.
Please submit the following to dhunt (at)prescottcircus.org : a resume and cover letter introducing yourself and what unique skills you have to support our children.
Subject line: Teaching Artist – Your Name
or mail to: Prescott Circus Theatre, 800 Pine St. #10, Oakland, Ca 94607
Questions should be addressed to David Hunt, 510-967-0355. Dhunt(at)prescottcircus.org
Internships in Development and Fundraising
Prescott Circus Theatre is looking for 1-2 volunteer interns to help with the “backstage” work of fundraising for our organization. These positions will provide someone with experience in small nonprofit development and management, grant research and writing, and event production.
Duties may include:
• Researching new foundations to apply for funding
• Researching trends and data to support proposals
• Help with editing of proposals and reports
• Help in writing minor proposals and reports
• Event planning and production
• Depending on experience, design invitations and promotional materials
• Provide support with mailings and invitations
• Help with maintaining database records
• Fun busy work such as envelop stuffing, data entry, errand running.
Interns are expected to commit to 2 – 6 hours / week (flexible), Monday – Friday. Some of the work will take place at our West Oakland office in Oakland and some can be done at intern’s discretion.
We are seeking motivated and responsible college students or young professionals looking to gain experience working with a small nonprofit. Prior interning experience is not a requirement, but we do require you to have a strong work ethic and willingness to learn.
Interested candidates should have good communication skills, comfortable with word processing and spread sheet programs (Word / Excel / etc.), and have regular access to a computer.
Internship Application Process
Please submit an updated resume and references with a cover letter that includes information about yourself and your experiences.
Send application to David Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line:
Internship – Your Name
mail to: Prescott Circus Theatre, 800 Pine St. #10., Oakland, CA 94607